airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About Apache Airavata
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2014 16:14:46 GMT
Thanks Saminda for a nice overview.

Udara, you will find this situation not so uncommon with many open source projects you will
stumble upon. Four of your friends to work through these voids are website [1], wiki [2],
jira [3], mailing list archives [4]. Note that mailing list archives are searchable in google
and other search engines. But all these will frequently lie to you. So you want to instead
trust a best friend [5] whom can always trust and will never lie.

Suresh
[1] - http://airavata.apache.org/
[2] - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/index
[3] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/airavata
[4] - http://markmail.org/search/+list:org.apache.incubator.airavata-dev
[5] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/

On Jan 19, 2014, at 1:28 AM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:

> We do not have any comprehensive documentation to explain this to a new developer. You
may look at [1] to get a basic understanding of the components in Airavata and understand
the flow of control and data when a request comes through the API.

> When a workflow is submitted through the API it first goes to the "Workflow Interpreter"
which interprets the workflow and executes each node in it. And when a particular node corresponds
to an application execution it will hand over the execution of that node to the "Application
Factory" (GFac for short). The GFac will connect with remote resources in cloud/grid/etc in
order to start the process of executing the relevant applications and report back the progress
and results. The progress and results are sent to "Registry" (for permanent storage) and to
"MessageBox" (for temporary storage of any users who had subscribed to receive progress messages
for that workflow execution).

> All other functions in the API (except for monitoring functions) translate to saving
or retrieving data to/from the "Registry".

> Data for Registering New Application  = input/output parameter types associated + Application
Remote Host access data (IP, globus/ssh/ec2) + Application access data (application path,
env. vars, scratch location etc.)

> The 3 types of data corresponds to 3 descriptors.
>
> Application input/output types = <ServiceDescriptor>
> Application Remote Host access data = <HostDescriptor>
> Application access data = <ApplicationDescriptor>
> Therefore,
>      Registering New Application = Adding new descriptors
>
> (The reason we do not keep 1 descriptor to define all the data for an application is
that in most situations applications share some data which makes it worth while to refactor
them out as different descriptors like above making it easier manage)

> Feel free to ask more questions.
>
> You are welcome to provide patches to our documentation or take an initiative to create
new wiki articles in Airavata Wiki to help others who are interested in understanding Airavata
design and implementation.

> Regards,
> Saminda
>
> 1. http://airavata.apache.org/architecture/overview.html
>

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Nipun Udara <y.b.n.udara@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>           I went through the simple gateway developer guide  and what i want to know
is after submitting a job using airvata api how the workflow execution/ochestration is going
on and how to register new application with airavata, is it adding new descriptors with in
registry. any body can direct me to a relevant documentation

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:40 PM, Nipun Udara <y.b.n.udara@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Suresh,
>                 Thank you very much.
>

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Udara,
>
> The following mail threads from gsoc 2013 will be a good read:
> http://markmail.org/message/rmotieckqj3a4xxv
> http://markmail.org/message/rw2qzpukheow5aiy
>
> Suresh
>
> On Jan 16, 2014, at 9:42 AM, Nipun Udara <y.b.n.udara@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear sir,
> >
> >                          I am a computer Science and Engineering student from Moratuwa
University Sri lanka, Who are interested about Apache Airavata and willing to actively involve
with Airavata Community. Also i am planning to do the GSOC in the March. so that i like to
get more knowledge about Apache Airavata . I have already subscribed to this url-" dev-subscribe@airavata.apache.org".
Is there a way i can actively involved with the community. I would be grateful to you if you
can make me aware regarding these. Thank you.

                   Yours Faithfully,

                   Udara