airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Emails not Docs
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:37:35 GMT
Hi All,

I have been poking around various apache project lists on how brainstorming of various topics
is done. I could not find an alternative example but using Mailing lists for all communications
and decisions. Many projects are using JIRA for easy recording of a topic, mainly because
they intern hit the mailing lists. Most of the projects also have a IRC channel to hash out
any opinions on a topic and summarize it back to the ML thread.

I suggest we also follow the same protocol and once a conclusion is made, record it on the
Wiki.

Here is my personal opinion on why we should avoid any document links and email itself:

* The whole point of communication is to engage the community. The elegance of free form writing
and in-line comments is far out-weighed by grabbing community attention on a topic. The more
the merrier and an increased chance of attention. Community engagement is already a tough
battle many open source projects deal with and communication is the last thing we want to
reduce.
* With so many sites mirroring and archiving apache mailing lists, making the content first
class searchable is undeniable.
* All mailing list context is guaranteed to be persistent, external documents are outside
the scope and cannot be guaranteed.

I can go on, but in short, I strongly vouch we avoid important architecture brainstormings
in google docs and put the content in a JIRA and comment on it with every one’s opinions
recorded.

Suresh