airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.am...@gmail.com>
Subject Airavata Release Testing
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 21:12:43 GMT
Hi Raman,

Thank you for initiating this [1]. This list [1] is great.

I have few comments related to verifying samples.

It will be really great if we can automate most of these testing. Ideally
we should only do UI testing manually (Maybe we can automate that too).
Further we need to automate real scenarios (like running job against
trestles/stampede)

I see automation is necessary due to following reasons;

1. Humans are not perfect
2. We have lot of things in our minds so we are always eager to finish one
thing and go to next. Therefore high chance we miss something. Further we
dont have a way to assure that release manager did all the verifications.
3. We dont need to wait till release time to figure out something is broken.
4. We are a small team is small. Therefore we need to automate as much as
possible. Infact that is the way most of the apache projects do.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/Airavata+Release+Testing

Thanks
Amila