airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Airavata Release Testing
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 21:20:04 GMT
One more reason for automated testing:
* Humans are lazy by nature :)

+ 1 for everything.

Suresh

On Nov 21, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.amila@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Raman,
>
> Thank you for initiating this [1]. This list [1] is great.
>
> I have few comments related to verifying samples.
>
> It will be really great if we can automate most of these testing. Ideally we should only
do UI testing manually (Maybe we can automate that too). Further we need to automate real
scenarios (like running job against trestles/stampede)

> I see automation is necessary due to following reasons;
>
> 1. Humans are not perfect
> 2. We have lot of things in our minds so we are always eager to finish one thing and
go to next. Therefore high chance we miss something. Further we dont have a way to assure
that release manager did all the verifications.
> 3. We dont need to wait till release time to figure out something is broken.
> 4. We are a small team is small. Therefore we need to automate as much as possible. Infact
that is the way most of the apache projects do.