airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Lahiru Gunathilake <glah...@gmail.com>
Subject How to unify host descriptors in Airavata
Date Thu, 03 Oct 2013 19:46:23 GMT
Hi all,

We are currently providing submitting jobs to different types of resources
in Airavata (different computing resources) for each different type of
resouce we have a host description. Ex: Localhost, GlobusHost and SSHHost.
But we provide only single type of authentication mechanism and Job
description for each. With the introduction of GSISSH it add number of
other different ways of submitting jobs based on the authenticaiton
mechanis, Job descriptor and Job manager.
Here is the different options we have,

Authentication    Job Scheduler         Job Description
GSI                    Gram                      RSL
GSI                    Unicore                   JSDL
GSI                     Torch                         PBS
SSHKeys             Torch                       PBS
GSI                      SLUM                      SLUM
SSHKeys                      SLUM                      SLUM
SSHKeys                     Torch                       PBS

So we are going to support all of these different types of executions. So I
want to bring up a discussion on how to handle all these scenarios.

Easier way is to have different type of descriptor types like we have
currently for all these methods of submitting jobs but it will be a waste
of resource if a user wants to submit to same resource with different JD
types and different authentication.

Do we have a better idea wihch will not confuse the end user, and make it
easier to run in different mode without big trouble.

Lahiru
--
System Analyst Programmer
PTI Lab