airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Viknes Balasubramanee <vikn...@msn.com>
Subject RE: Access credential store though Airavata API
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 01:42:51 GMT
If the discussions are final, then I would like to volunteer to work on
adding the Credential Store to the Airavata API.

Thanks

Viknes

From: Suresh Marru [mailto:smarru.apache@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 11:02 AM
To: Airavata Dev; Airavata Dev
Subject: Re: Access credential store though Airavata API

From: Amila Jayasekara < <mailto:thejaka.amila@gmail.com>
thejaka.amila@gmail.com>

Date: Friday, October 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM
To: Airavata Dev <dev@airavata.apache.org <mailto:dev@airavata.apache.org> >

We had discussions separating out Credential Store from Airavata. In that
case it is not appropriate to add that functionality to API.

Suresh, whats your opinion on this ?

Amila,

Short answer, + 1 for adding to Airavata API.

I always see these kind of scenarios as an SPI Vs API discussion. I mean
Credential store should have an Service Provider Interface, similar to the
Gfac SPI and Registry SPI which if any one interested can quickly take and
bundle into a standalone application. But for Airavata purposes, its better
to unify and simplify the functions through the Airavata API. So, for use
cases like what Viknes outlined below, it makes total sense to have
Credential Store functions from Airavata API. From a deployment perspective,
I think we can have Credential Store bundles with the server deployment for
now. Since the data in and out is processed through encryptions, it may be
ok. But at some point, we need to request a security audit of Airavata and
then we need to go by what the recommendations are.

Suresh

Thanks

Amila

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Viknes Balasubramanee <viknesb@msn.com