airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.am...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestions for upcoming releases
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:04:38 GMT
On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Marlon Pierce <marpierc@iu.edu> wrote:

> I'd be concerned about the quality of production testing for releasese
> if we just include an embedded server.  I think Rave hit this
> problem--everyone tested the simplified version packaged for the
> release, but there were a lot bugs and other problems that appeared when
> trying to use it in a more realistic deployment.
>
> I think it is better to come up with a packaging strategy that is simple
> enough for testing but also reasonably realistic.

+1. I am also negative to only release server distribution. Most of the
real deployment scenarios use a separate web server to deploy Airavata.
Further certain functionalities cannot be tested at stand alone version.
(E.g :- credential store). Therefore we should keep the war distribution.

Anyhow there is a blocking issue [1] for the release related to
distribution size. So we must find a solution for this. (Best thing is to
unify war distributions and get rid of duplicate jars)

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-922

Saminda had been making changes to REST API to incorporate workflow
execution. Are we planning to make that change available in this release ?
If so we can get rid of some of SOAP based services. (If this is taking
place we can unify wars also). Saminda please give feedback on this.

Also what about code we inherit from GSOC project ? Are we planning to
incorporate them to release ?

Further for the upcoming release it will be better if we do not include
many features. Because there are couple of lingering Jira tickets which we
have been postponing. Its better to fix some of those in hackathon mode
before the release.

@Marlon : Any particular reason why you prefer 0.91 rather than 0.10 ?
(0.10 is what we have assigned right now)

Thanks
Thejaka Amila