airavata-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Marlon Pierce <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Suggestions for upcoming releases
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:32:41 GMT

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

0.91 is a real number and it indicates also our intention to release 1.0
in the near future.  As for GSOC contributions, I would favor having the
GSOC participants take the lead on any integration, testing, etc with
the trunk.


Marlon

On 9/30/13 11:04 AM, Amila Jayasekara wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Marlon Pierce <marpierc@iu.edu> wrote:
>
>>
> I'd be concerned about the quality of production testing for releasese
> if we just include an embedded server.  I think Rave hit this
> problem--everyone tested the simplified version packaged for the
> release, but there were a lot bugs and other problems that appeared when
> trying to use it in a more realistic deployment.
>
> I think it is better to come up with a packaging strategy that is simple
> enough for testing but also reasonably realistic.
>
>
> > +1. I am also negative to only release server distribution. Most of the
> > real deployment scenarios use a separate web server to deploy Airavata.
> > Further certain functionalities cannot be tested at stand alone version.
> > (E.g :- credential store). Therefore we should keep the war
distribution.
>
> > Anyhow there is a blocking issue [1] for the release related to
> > distribution size. So we must find a solution for this. (Best thing
is to
> > unify war distributions and get rid of duplicate jars)
>
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-922
>
> > Saminda had been making changes to REST API to incorporate workflow
> > execution. Are we planning to make that change available in this
release ?
> > If so we can get rid of some of SOAP based services. (If this is taking
> > place we can unify wars also). Saminda please give feedback on this.
>
> > Also what about code we inherit from GSOC project ? Are we planning to
> > incorporate them to release ?
>
> > Further for the upcoming release it will be better if we do not include
> > many features. Because there are couple of lingering Jira tickets
which we
> > have been postponing. Its better to fix some of those in hackathon mode
> > before the release.
>
> > @Marlon : Any particular reason why you prefer 0.91 rather than 0.10 ?
> > (0.10 is what we have assigned right now)
>
> > Thanks
> > Thejaka Amila
>
>
>
>
>
> Marlon
>
> On 9/30/13 10:30 AM, Raminder Singh wrote:
> >>> Problem is not releasing both tar and zip. Problem is size of the war
> distribution file which contain
> 2 war files (airavata-server.war and airavata-registry.war). Both the
> war files have lib jars and increase its size more than 100MB. Apache
> limit of 100MB is per file. I think we should only release tar and zip
> with embedded server to get started. Creating and deploying of WARs can
> be documented for production users. WDYT?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks
> >>> Raminder
> >>>
> >>> On Sep 30, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Supun Kamburugamuva <supun06@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> I've noticed you are releasing both a tar and a zip for all the
> distribution artifacts. I've seen lot of people only releasing a zip or
> a tar and not both.
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks,
> >>>> Supun..
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Saminda Wijeratne
> <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>> reducing the release footprint should also be a priority IMO.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Raminder Singh <rsandhu1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>>> Airavata 0.9 is released now and Marlon mentioned a timeline for 1.0
> is Mid Nov. How do we want to handle next release?
> >>>>
> >>>> Some of the features required for the projects i work with are:
> >>>>
> >>>> GSISSH Provider
> >>>> Async execution of Applications and implement your own monitor.
> >>>>
> >>>> Lets discuss a timeline and plan for next release and as well as for
> 1.0.
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks
> >>>> Raminder
> >>>>
> >>>> On Sep 13, 2013, at 3:06 PM, Marlon Pierce <marpierc@iu.edu> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> Hi all--
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Airavata 0.9 is pending, we also would like to have 1.0 in time
for
> >>>>> Supercomputing 2013 (November 15th), and we have been trying to
get
> down
> >>>>> to ~6 week releases.  We have 9 weeks until SC13.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I suggest we do the following:
> >>>>>
> >>>>> * Get 0.9 out over the next couple of days. There are no blocking
> issues.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> * Define 0.91 or 0.10 release next week and target completion in
4 for
> >>>>> ~October 11th.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> * Define and complete 1.0 release for November 15th.  The
primary goal
> >>>>> for 1.0 is to have the API stable.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Marlon
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>> Supun Kamburugamuva
> >>>> Member, Apache Software Foundation; http://www.apache.org
> >>>> E-mail: supun06@gmail.com;  Mobile: +1 812 369 6762
> >>>> Blog: http://supunk.blogspot.com
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
>
>>
>>
>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.18 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools - http://gpgtools.org
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJSSZmZAAoJEOEgD2XReDo5PyMH/0sBqjLWZDAw2hEWbE41VvVC
Jb5VLpgy6iBAqT8nJxRCy1tO22tB/t0SYOT1NVV/LaUMFrqNM1/lCK8ru251Gf4/
a0c4nCMeR+ItLo6uCLSfIC90plNmc2NOHbmiFGNbZCtSfVEnDVo86oVF/OxahLZs
9csQ6bkeZWhNCm98WRDEhGQzSaHpu7qyyL9IGO2spOwPafDQvpiP7jf587h15vSj
LfK2Fcf00X8ZIgJBQD5E9//iiBCDQyFW/9WQWV3Mz2UWKJktkA6wMJG2JO5PKcxK
Haj4zyxaYfioN3k+CTyce+5+UyK0tr80qwvHzHsIc81ZrfViaCwZ2Ds6VlJt9qs=
=m+hz
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


Mime
View raw message