airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Lowering the barrier: Committter != PMC
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 20:03:47 GMT
Hi All,

Airavata currently follows Committer == PMC, I am still a supporter of this model. I think
this is the right thing to do and more over we want all the "doers" to be the ones guiding
the project. I am also a supporter of the Mattman's law of Open Source which famously quotes
we are in recruiting business. So nothing changes on these, but I am looking to mitigate some
limbo's.

I am increasingly noticing contributors who are just caring about their code contributions
and not caring enough to lean the "Apache Way". While this is not ideal, I am trying to think
on sustainable ways instead of one-off nudges.

This thread is to re-vist this topic and see if introducing a commmitter only role and much
more lowering the barrier in giving committership will reward and motivate few more contributors.
The only advantage is we can safely recruit commmitters based on the signs for potential to
contribute. When they make actual contributions and are thinking for the project entirely,
assisting users and release process and in other project activities, we make them PMC members.
 This will essentially make Airavata PMC != Committters. The roles are clearly defined at
- http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles This

Thoughts?

This is a discussion thread only, so every one (not just current PMC) please voice your  opinion
on this topic.

Suresh