airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.am...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap to Airavata 1.0
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2013 19:35:09 GMT
Hi Suresh,

Some comments inline.

Thanks
Amila

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In the last 2 years Airavata has evolved significantly and I feel we are
> about the time to stabilize the Airavata Access Layer through a API and
> make a 1.0 release. Here are some thoughts on what we need to do before
> Airavata can be 1.0:
>
> * Ready to move into semantic versioning of releases
> * Have a API which will survive through minor releases and only calls out
> for API changes for major releases
> * Decide upon a going forward SCM among SVN or GIT
> * Have well documented client integration examples
> * Scrub of any unused dependencies and revisit the latest versions of
> critical dependencies
> * Agree upon supported features
> * Remove any third party maven repos (down to 1 as of today)
> * Resolve all the issues which are bugs (and preferably improvements as
> well)
> * Revisit all wish style issues and comment on the ones planned to be
> addressed in near future.
> * External review of the project by soliciting developers from fellow
> apache projects.
>
> Additional thoughts and tasks we need to accomplish before 1.0?

Some more software engineering specific tasks
1. Improve test coverage - Specifically we need set of tests which actually
execute workflows against stampede, trestles, lonestar etc ...
2. Clean up configurations
3. Resurrect Jenkins and do proper continuous integration
4. Reduce code duplication - I experienced some code duplications. E.g :-
database connecting code (I my self also created one - my bad)

Some questions
- Are we going to include gsissh in 1.0 ?
- Are we going to integrate Admin UI in 1.0 ? (which Vikness is doing)
- Are we going to integrate XBaya Web UI 1.0 ? (which GSoc students are
doing)

Thanks
Amila