airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Roadmap to Airavata 1.0
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2013 03:52:34 GMT
Good list Amila. I will start individual threads discussing each of the 1.0 aspects.

Suresh

On Aug 29, 2013, at 3:35 PM, Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.amila@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Suresh,
>
> Some comments inline.
>
> Thanks
> Amila
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In the last 2 years Airavata has evolved significantly and I feel we are about the time
to stabilize the Airavata Access Layer through a API and make a 1.0 release. Here are some
thoughts on what we need to do before Airavata can be 1.0:

> * Ready to move into semantic versioning of releases
> * Have a API which will survive through minor releases and only calls out for API changes
for major releases
> * Decide upon a going forward SCM among SVN or GIT
> * Have well documented client integration examples
> * Scrub of any unused dependencies and revisit the latest versions of critical dependencies
> * Agree upon supported features
> * Remove any third party maven repos (down to 1 as of today)
> * Resolve all the issues which are bugs (and preferably improvements as well)
> * Revisit all wish style issues and comment on the ones planned to be addressed in near
future.
> * External review of the project by soliciting developers from fellow apache projects.
>
> Additional thoughts and tasks we need to accomplish before 1.0?
>
> Some more software engineering specific tasks
> 1. Improve test coverage - Specifically we need set of tests which actually execute workflows
against stampede, trestles, lonestar etc ...
> 2. Clean up configurations
> 3. Resurrect Jenkins and do proper continuous integration
> 4. Reduce code duplication - I experienced some code duplications. E.g :- database connecting
code (I my self also created one - my bad)