airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Lahiru Gunathilake <glah...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Job cancellation in GFac
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:11:23 GMT
Hi Amila,

I think at this level we can live without having interpreter level job
canceling, because if we cancel a job in some other thread interpreter can
pick it up and make the that node as cancelled and with current interpreter
logic, after the the first job failure workflow is failing. So logically
before we think of interpreter level job canceling we need to do more work
in our interpreter logic to make use of that feature.

For job canceling logic, we can pick the provider using the same logic we
use in normal GFAC node execution and program against provider interface,
so that right cancel method will get called.

Raman, what do you mean by user setting JobExecutionContext or security
Context ? User doesn't have to set anything, we create it and set it in to
JobExecutionContext, the same way as we do in GFacAPI, user just have to
specify the nodeId, experimentId.

Thanks
Lahiru

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Amila Jayasekara
<thejaka.amila@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Raminder Singh <
>> raminderjsingh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Amila for providing the details. Job cancel will be user action
>>> called from API or Xbaya.  I don't think its necessarily always a workflow
>>> interpreter operation.  Its will be useful if we provide an option in API
>>> to cancel jobs. I have few other questions
>>>
>>> 1. We don't need to pass experimentid, workflowid, nodeid all the way to
>>> gfac level. GFAC only need jobid to create cancel request for the job.
>>> According to me getting of job id need to be done in API and only job id
>>> need to be passed to this level.
>>>
>> +1
>> At the workflow interpreter level it should be "cancel node execution"
>> "cancel workflow execution" "cancel experiment". The interpreter can
>> translate the node id to the gfac job id and call cancel job in the gfac
>> interface.
>>

> Ok. Lets have a single method with job id to cancel jobs.
>

>> 2. I looked into GramProvider code and did not like the dependency of
>>> JobExecutionContext in these methods.  I observed you are using it get
>>> security context. Is not it lightweight for the client to just set security
>>> context?
>>>

> I prefer to keep JobExecutionContext as it is the medium communicating
> with the GFac interface. Further if we need pass any additional parameters
> we can use job execution context.
>
> I assume Raman or Saminda will help implementing job cancellation at
> interpretter level and also at API level.
>
> Thanks
> Amila
>

>>> Please let me know if you have any questions.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Raminder

>>> cancellation. But we need to figure out from where these methods should be
>>> called. As I feel these methods should get triggered from Workflow

--
System Analyst Programmer
PTI Lab