airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Raminder Singh <raminderjsi...@gmail.com>
Subject Synchronous vs Async submissions in GFAC provider
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 15:58:47 GMT
I am working on a use case where these is an asynchronous job submission script for pegasus[1]
(Condor Dagman [2]). Submission scripts returns a JOBID to monitor the status. Monitor script
returns the job status using the JOBID provided by submission script. Another script is available
to cancel the job.

I plan to use SSHProvider to call these scripts. Currently provider only support syncronous
submission and does not allow to add a wait thread using another script. According to me,
this can be common pattern among other gateway use cases.  This case is true for LocalProvider
also.  I can add another provider for my specific case but i think this is a generic case
of airavata and need discussion.

If we want to add asyncronous submission and monitoring to current Local and SSH providers
following changes are needed

1. Add flag to descriptor to identify execution pattern.
2. Change descriptor to allow users to add monitoring script path.
3. Incase we want to support job cancel, cancel script path also need to be added to descriptors
also.
4. Monitoring pattern and status (to make decision) need to be configured using some interface.

Adding Async Local and SSH provider for this case is another option and new descriptors can
be added.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Raminder