airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Raminder Singh <raminderjsi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Synchronous vs Async submissions in GFAC provider
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2013 18:53:59 GMT
Lahiru,

Async or Sync is define time step. User will know the nature of executable and can configure
it while defining its application description. We need other information from user as well
like which command or executable to call to monitor status and what status decisions are going
to be. I can't think about a case when user want to change these properties at run time.

WDYT?

Raman

On Jul 16, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Lahiru Gunathilake <glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.amila@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 Raman.
> Is this going to be in 0.9 ? If so can you please update feature list for 0.9 also ?
>

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Raminder Singh <raminderjsingh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working on a use case where these is an asynchronous job submission script for pegasus[1]
(Condor Dagman [2]). Submission scripts returns a JOBID to monitor the status.

> Does pegasus generate above job id ?
>

> Monitor script returns the job status using the JOBID provided by submission script.
Another script is available to cancel the job.

> I plan to use SSHProvider to call these scripts. Currently provider only support syncronous
submission and does not allow to add a wait thread using another script. According to me,
this can be common pattern among other gateway use cases.  This case is true for LocalProvider
also.  I can add another provider for my specific case but i think this is a generic case
of airavata and need discussion.

> Are these scripts specific to pegasus ? If scripts are generic and can provide information
about running jobs its good to change existing providers rather than introducing new one.

> If we want to add asyncronous submission and monitoring to current Local and SSH providers
following changes are needed

> 1. Add flag to descriptor to identify execution pattern.
> 2. Change descriptor to allow users to add monitoring script path.
> 3. Incase we want to support job cancel, cancel script path also need to be added to
descriptors also.
> 4. Monitoring pattern and status (to make decision) need to be configured using some
interface.

> In addition to specifying specific script paths can we generate some generic scripts
to do job monitoring and job cancellation. For example for monitoring we can check the process
id status. For cancellation we can execute a command like "kill -TERM <jobid>".

> Further can we make async and sync as an option in the same provider. Rather than have
a separate provider for Async operations.