airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.am...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accessing the REST service from JavaScript
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:06:01 GMT
Hi Suresh,

This is not due to any technical reason or security issue.
So the basic access authentication is the "default" authentication
mechanism we are using. For that we need to have user name and password in
request header and base64 encoded.
If user name and password needs to be part of the request parameter, we
need to implement a new Authenticator
(org.apache.airavata.security.Authenticator) implementation. Further
 framework will pick the new authenticator based on the implementation of
"canProcess" method.

Thanks
Amila

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.amila@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Viknes,
> >
> > You still need to set user name as a Authorisation header. I doubt you
> will
> > be able to do this even, cos browsers doesnt allow any kind of http
> header
> > manipulations.
>
> Amila, this is making me wonder again, is this a good idea to expect a
> user if to be set in the request header? Why cannot we allow the user if to
> be set as a parameter? is this because of a security risk or any other
> technical reasons?
>
> Suresh
>

> > Thanks
> > Amila
> >

> > On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Viknes Balasubramanee <viknesb@msn.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to avoid a backend server of my own or a proxy server. My aim
> is
> >> develop a portable webapp of just HTML and JS pages that can be
> included by
> >> any client. I am pretty sure I have successfully made cross domain
> requests
> >> earlier. The only problem here is adding the authorization header and
> these
> >> 2 browsers don't allow it.
> >>
> >> Amila,
> >> When the security is disabled, should the username be still set in the
> >> authorization header or can it be passed as a parameter or data
> attribute.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Viknes

AJAX