airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Danushka Menikkumbura <danushka.menikkumb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XBaya/Hadoop Integration - Concern
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:13:03 GMT
Chathura,

It is good to see that the snowball is gathering mass and I am totally +1
for the point that you are trying to make.

Lemme extend it little further.

As far as I know, GFac was conceived with the intention of facilitating
provisions for associating legacy (hosted) applications with workflows.
Naturally these applications would have a host of some form, hence a host
description and a deployed application, hence an application deployment
description. Because of that it is taken for granted that a GFac invocation
would have a host description and an application description associated
with it.

But it turns out to be little different when it comes to Hadoop, specially
in terms of host description. We cannot actually treat Hadoop run
environment (Single node, Local cluster, EMR, etc) as a host, but rather a
runtime that could be described in a different file. (I would say
TaskRuntimeDescritption.xml or even HadoopAccountDescription.xml as you
have said).

My initial approach was to completely ignore the notion of "host" when it
comes to Hadoop but then decided to think of Hadoop runtime as a variation
of host (see my previous reply on this thread). Therefore, I am +1 for
having a separate description file for runtimes.

Thanks,
Danushka