airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Danushka Menikkumbura <danushka.menikkumb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Initiating GSoC Project - JSON support and JSON to XML bidirectional conversion for Airavata
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2013 01:10:48 GMT
Hi Vijayendra,

I want to know where do we implement RabbitMQ message broker. As RabbitMQ
> implements AMQP. Where exactly are we going to implement this and where
> exactly
> RabbitMQ clients(publisher) be?  It would be better if you can put it in a
> diagram. I am not able to see any of your diagrams in the proposal.
> How exactly messaging system fits in the fig1.(shameera's diagram) ?

The RabbitMQ broker will run independently. We will have a Java client API
to facilitate publish/subscribe to the broker and necessary bits in the
JSON/XML library to wrap those calls.

> one more question is, as we are implementing AMQP  a wire-level protocol
> standard for messaging, AMQP
>  specification essentially creates a message-based interoperability model.
> This means that as long as you are using AMQP you can connect and send
> message to
> any AMQP message broker using any AMQP client.
> Are we doing away with traditional and popular JMS ?? I don't see the need
> of that any more.

Yes.We do not need JMS here. As you have mentioned, since AMQP defines a
standard wire-level protocol, different implementations are ought to be
inter-operable, nevertheless it is more theoretical than practical :-).
Anyway I know that a Qpid/Java client can talk to a Qpid/C++ broker without
any issue.

> I also came across another AMQP messaging system Apache Qpid.
> I want to know Why are we not thinking of using this? Why RabbitMQ ? I am
> new to both of them :) .

The main reasons why we opted for RabbitMQ were its rich user community and
its robustness. I have mixed feelings about Qpid. On the good side, the C++
implementation is very robust and well-written. We could have used the
Qpid/C++ broker. On the bad (sad) side, the Java broker nor the client API
is robust. There are(were) lots of memory leaks that are very difficult to
live with, and few other issues.

Thanks,
Danushka