airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Need for AMQP in Airavata (Science Gateways)
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 21:24:20 GMT
Hi Danushaka,

The Scientific Use Case demands from the WS-Messenger are documented in [1] and [2]. If we
look at the use of WS-Messenger, it is primarily three fold:

* Easy integration for Gateway Interfaces which are implemented in multiple programming languages
* Scalable so all of Airavata internal systems can use the eventing for rapid communications

* Easily support the Web Based Real-Time workflow monitoring - currently supported by the
Workflow Tracking Schema.

I am not sure if we can make a call on JMS vs AMQP and not sure one will be better to address
the three usage modes described above. So I would suggest your project have proof of concepts
so you can come up with a recommendation on what eventing system will be good for Airavata
internal and external client communications. Also please make your project align with the
master project, so you can provide some working solution so the Web Based project can subscribe
and provide real-time monitoring capabilities.

Suresh

[1] - http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/xgws/messenger/doc/HuangY-WSMessenger.pdf
[2] - http://pervasive.iu.edu/sites/default/files/SimmhanIPAW06.pdf