airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Workflow monitoring webapp
Date Thu, 02 May 2013 20:42:12 GMT
On May 2, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Viknes Balasubramanee <viknesb@msn.com> wrote:

> Thanks Marlon and Chris for your suggestions.
>
> Suresh,
> I will keep this in mind when I submit the proposal.
> Speaking of UI, It looks like the sandbox code uses JSP pages to display the
> workflow information. I was thinking of displaying these information using
> just HTML5 and JS pages. So for the front end I will be using Twitter
> Bootstrap and AngularJS. Both these frameworks are lightweight and would
> help speed up the development. They also ensure browser interoperability
> across platforms and devices.
>
> Also the sandbox code connects to a DB to get the workflow information. My
> guess is that the Airavata Registry would contain all the required
> information and the APIs would provide a way to access these information. So
> I am assuming I would not have to interact with any DB directly or maintain
> one for the webapp. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is all correct. Sandbox project and legacy UI is only to give you an idea. OODT OPSUI
might be a different story, you probably can borrow some code, and make it more prettier and
responsive using HTML5/JS using the libraries you mention and contribute back.

Important thing to note for these UI's is to have have them light weight and framework independent
(self-contained) so they can be easily embedded into any existing interfaces. Something along
the lines of Google custom search - https://developers.google.com/custom-search/docs/element#html5

Suresh