airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Andun Sameera <andun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Airavata GSoC 2013 Master Project
Date Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:11:55 GMT
Hi Suresh,

I have read the GSOC 2013 wiki article. That describes a big process,
which have to be followed very carefully. So I want to clear myself.

As you mentioned in the wiki, perfect understanding Data Models and
Service Interfaces is mandatory for a GSOC project. There are four
major components in the Web based UI(Which are shown in the diagram).
According to my knowledge, the generic task of all these component is
to manipulate data models and use service interfaces to achieve the
intended goal of  the particular component.

For an example, The component Application Registering UI should get
some inputs from user about inputs out puts etc. about a application.
Then it have to map those to ServiceMapSchema to create an Application
and Register it in Airavata via Service Interfaces.

Also as I understood Data Models and Service Interfaces are fixed
things and we have to use these in our projects. But sometimes changes
can happen. That is the point where four separate components
implementation project have to communicate. Otherwise if we only have
to use the exiting Data Models and Service Interfaces to implement
these web based components, we can work separate.

To divide these four major components to GSOC projects, we have to
understand the related work load for each of the implementations.
Sometimes these can be four project, more than four or less.

Thanks!

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Also please do not get too carries away with workflow description. Airavata's key goal
is to provide abstraction over distributed computing applications.  The decisions on what
application description should look like should be based on if it can cover all the intended
use cases. The Open Grid Forum's JSDL's specification will be a good reference for skimming
through - http://www.gridforum.org/documents/GFD.56.pdf

> Suresh
>
> On Apr 14, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As briefly discussed in [1], lets brainstorm enough on this thread before we can
derive concrete GSoC projects and appropriate JIRA's. We have an opportunity to have multiple
projects, but we would like to make sure they all align well. I drafted a overview of what
can be potentially done - [2]. Please do not get overwhelmed by the sheer of changes, at the
same time, it will be time consuming and also will require co-ordination with the community
and other students. So please read [1] and make sure it matches your interest.

>> Please start asking questions based on what you understand in [2] and lets go from
there. I will keep expanding this wiki as we get the questions. We are roughly 2 weeks away
from the proposal deadlines, so please hurry and understand the problem to tackle well. Then
lets collectively identify the project which is "doable" within next 3 months and how we can
break it down. If this is sounding too onerous for a GSoC project, I frankly suggest to look
at other projects which might fit your time availability and get the project. Here we would
like to use the mentor energy to accomplish tasks which can directly get into the main code
base, write papers, see the projects in production and so on. The rewards will be certainly
better than an average project, but the challenge and effort will be demanding.

>> I will be relatively very responsive from now through proposal deadlines. I will
hope others on the Airavata PMC will be as well.

--
Regards
Andun S.L. Gunawardana

Blog - http://www.insightforfuture.blogspot.com/