airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Andun Sameera <andun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Airavata GSoC 2013 Master Project
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:09:06 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Subho Banerjee <subs.zero@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been looking though some of the code as well as the documentation,
> to come up with a concrete definition of what the project on composing web
> based workflows for Airavata will entail. Building on what Andun pointed
> out in his email, I would like to expand the definition of this project and
> propose a solution which I think will work very well -
>
>    1. A* Web Interface* built using an MV* pattern, using a framework like
>    AngularJS or BackboneJS (which are both MIT licensed) along with a
>    presentation layer built using Twitter Bootstrap and the frameworks Andun
>    enumerated in his email (which will try to replace the code in
>    org.apache.airavata.xbaya.ui.graph.*). With, an MV* pattern, we can
>    replicate the data model being used currently in
>    org.apache.airavata.workflow.model.wf.* quite easily. Now, once we have
>    a validated graph (workflow) defined, we send this to the Airavata service
>    in the form of a SOAP (XML) message.

I was thinking the same as Subho has explained. That is the way we
should do this.

>    This is where I would like to suggest two major improvements, firstly,
>    instead of having a workflow parser written separately in Java and
>    Javascript, we can probably enumerate a set of rules which are required to
>    validate the workflow, and then just read the file containing these rules
>    and validate against them. What this does, is that any future changes in
>    these rules will only imply changing the rules file instead of actually
>    making changes in code.

This is good idea. But I think this need lot of effort to understand
all the scenario and coming up with a generic rule set.

>    Now this brings me to my second suggestion, that
>    of communication between the frontend and the Airavata service. This must
>    be in a language that both understand. Though Java can handle SOAP (XML)
>    very well, the same cannot be said about the browser. What I would like to
>    suggest is instead of using SOAP, maybe we can come up with an equivalent
>    JSON notation for this data. This is because it is a lot easier to compose,
>    handle and modify JSON data when you are writing programs on a browser.
>    This will involve, coming up with a JSON format for the data being
>    transferred as well as interfacing this with the Airavata service.
>    2. How I would like to go about this will be by building a *translator*.
>    This will sit in between the Airavata service and the frontend and will
>    convert JSON data from the browser to SOAP which the service understands
>    and vice versa. The advantage of this will be that as new functionality is
>    added to the frontend, a corresponding translator has to be added that
>    would interface it with the Airavata service. So this will allow
>    incremental development of the frontend making things easier. Also allowing
>    people to change the Airavata service as required (maybe by some other GSoC
>    project) without any conflicts. Now at a later date, if Airavata does
>    accept JSON as standard for data exchange, the translator can be done away
>    with and the frontend can be interface directly with the service.

This is a good idea. This will add a other GSOC project in to the
picture I think :)

> I am currently in the process of looking through the Xbaya code, and my
> suggestions are from the point of view of someone who is not very well
> acquainted with the codebase. So I am counting on your help to fix any
> mistakes I have made and make a successful proposal for GSoC 2013.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Subho.

Also I think we have to identify all the major small project in this
big GSOC project and have to priorities them. Because I think we cant
do all these things.

Thanks!

--
Regards