airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Andun Sameera <andun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Airavata GSoC 2013 Master Project
Date Sun, 28 Apr 2013 05:27:07 GMT
Hi All,

I also agree Subho's point. Regardless of the project decomposition method,
we have a tight coupling between projects. Output of one project is input
for another project. For an example, Implementing the JSON data model will
be one task. The implementation will be used to workflow composition
project as well as API project. According to my mind doing these parallel
will be a hard task without knowing the exact outcome of a project which
will be used in another project as a input.

Most suitable way is developing each project in a incremental way as a
team. AFIK in GSOC we cant work in teams. So we cant adhere to the approach
of developing projects incrementally as a team.

What we should do is some kind of contract first implementation. Each
project which will be used by other project should have to have a contract
on the outcome or the API provided to the other project. At least in a
generic level. Also if it is possible dummy implementation can be provided.
For an example, we can discuss deeply and define the API which we are going
to implement. then do a simple dummy implementation to provide some results
which can be used in other projects for testing. This can be done in a
team. Using that dummy implemnation we can continue our project on our own.

But this have lot of drawbacks also. Major one is defining the contract at
the begining in a accurate manner.

Is there any other ways to execute these projects parallel ?

Thanks!

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Subho Banerjee <subs.zero@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> > service interfaces of internal components (the REST and SOAP interfaces
> of
> > registry, interpreter, and messaging system -- GFac is invoked by
> > interpreter so it is not exposed outside).
> > * 2 projects on workflow composition interfaces themselves. These
> projects
> > have to interact with Airavata REST Service, parse the JSON messages,
> > construct the graph, generate the workflow xml (XWF) at the client or a
> > intermediary service.
> > * A project on workflow execution interfaces. This project has to
> > understand the current workflow inputs and workflow execution context and
> > workflow representation.
> > * A project on workflow monitoring - this project has to understand the
> > workflow tracking schema and ws messenger services.
> >
> > I am not sure if this is a good way to split the projects, but I am just
> > throwing an idea. Please don't look at them as separate projects. As we
> > have been discussing right from the beginning, these interleaved tasks
> > requires every one has to work on everything.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Suresh
> >
> > On Apr 27, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Andun Sameera <andunslg@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I will bring some comments which I made earlier and which will help in
> > the
> > > discussion.

> form
> in

> > > I have digged deep in to the source code via debugging to see how the
> > XBaya
> > > create Workflows, persists them local file system, persists them in
> > > registry. I understood following things,
> > >
> > > - All the workflow design happens on top of the
> > > org.apache.airavata.xbaya.ui.graph.GraphCanvas
> > > - The workflow data represented via the
> > > org.apache.airavata.workflow.model.wf.Workflow ( I think this is the
> DAG
> > > representation which you are talking about in Airavata Workflow
> > > Architecture in [1])
> > > - Local file system persistence, retrieving done via
> > > org.apache.airavata.xbaya.core.generators.WorkflowFiler
> > > - Registry based persistence, retrieving has done via the REST client
> > > org.apache.airavata.rest.clientUserWorkflowResourceClient
> > >
> > > So If I focus on the task of implementing Web based Workflow Composer
> for
> > > Airavata, IMO we can reuse all three other than 1st one. 1st one have
> > be
> > > replace with a JavaScript based implementation. When that handles
> design
> > > part all the other things related to workflow can be done reusing the
> > > others. If we use these or not, it is really valuable to understand the
> > > existing way of doing the thing.
> > >
> > > I also looked at rapheljs and jsplumb earlier. I think they suites the
> > > requirement and they comes under MIT license.

XML is
> > out.

> > this
> solid