airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Sanchit Aggarwal <sanchitagarwal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Airavata GSoC 2013 Master Project
Date Sun, 28 Apr 2013 06:36:23 GMT
Hi  Surresh

In my view One approach to deal with the problem due to the tight
coupling of projects and dependencies is that we can go about by
creating stubs for the modules based on the pre-discussed model for
the JSON bridge and other overlapping functionality.

The only problem is that we have to give a considerable amount of time
in beginning and have to come up with concrete plan for implementation
of the JSON bridge for API and Datamodel, but this can be workout if
we work as a team during early community bonding period and then once
the plan has been decided we can start with our individual
implementation once the coding starts.

I am more inclined towards the implementation of either the workflow
execution interface or the workflow monitoring interface. I also
request for the suggestions on the ideas I mailed for the execution
interface earlier on this thread.

Regards
Sanchit Aggarwal
MS Research (Computer Science)
Center for Visual Information Technology
IIIT Hyderabad, Gachibowli
Contact - 9581417330

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Andun Sameera <andunslg@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> the JSON bridge, the API as well as the data model. In this way, the
>> correctness of the code can be tested right away. Instead of waiting for
>> another project to finish something before you can move ahead. The problem
>> here is the enumeration of all these functional units will be a
>> very difficult and time consuming task.
>>
>> Personally I am interested in working on the (frontend) application
>> registration and workflow composition interface as well as XML <--> JSON
>> bridge which might come as a part of the workflow composition project or
>> the data-models project.
>>
>> Could you also send us a template proposal for Airavata.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Subho.
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 12:06 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > Does any one have any proposal on how to break the project into smaller
>> > gsoc projects?
>> >
>> > I think you all should work in parallel and as a team. There may be
>> > projects two of you can implement the same idea. Example, the workflow
>> > composer can be implemented in parallel by two students using different
>> > libraries. But we need to make sure the JSON schema and workflow model
>> > should be identical by both of them and so on.
>> >
>> > Here is one idea for the split (don't take it literally and propose other
>> > ideas as well):
>> >
>> > * A project fully focused on Airavata data models for application and
>> > workflows. So this person can work with rest of team to ensure a common
>> > agreed upon JSON schema is drafted and works on the conversion as needed
>> > with existing XML Schema.
>> > * A project focused on the Airavata API and supporting the necessary
>> > functionality needed to construct the web based interfaces. This project
>> > basically have to understand the current Airavata Client API and existing
>> > service interfaces of internal components (the REST and SOAP interfaces
>> of
>> > registry, interpreter, and messaging system -- GFac is invoked by
>> > interpreter so it is not exposed outside).
>> > * 2 projects on workflow composition interfaces themselves. These
>> projects
>> > have to interact with Airavata REST Service, parse the JSON messages,
>> > construct the graph, generate the workflow xml (XWF) at the client or a
>> > intermediary service.
>> > * A project on workflow execution interfaces. This project has to
>> > understand the current workflow inputs and workflow execution context and
>> > workflow representation.
>> > * A project on workflow monitoring - this project has to understand the
>> > workflow tracking schema and ws messenger services.
>> >
>> > I am not sure if this is a good way to split the projects, but I am just
>> > throwing an idea. Please don't look at them as separate projects. As we
>> > have been discussing right from the beginning, these interleaved tasks
>> > requires every one has to work on everything.

or the other way
>> > of

>> > and
>> GSoC