airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.fr>
Subject Re: Research project on integrating geoservices with Apache Airavata
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 22:00:51 GMT
Le 03/04/13 23:30, Suresh Marru a écrit :
> Hello Martin, It is really pleasing to hear such a commitment from
> some one deeply engaged in OGC. While I agree with you on the
> influence on a younger project and also the impact an open community
> process like Apache can have. I personally respect OGC as a governing
> organization and as a standards defining body. But we all could not
> deny the fact that community rallied behind OGC and produced some good
> software. I am curious to learn how will community respond to Apache
> SIS vs any software endorsed by OGC? Do you see SIS positioning itself
> as a reference implementation for the OGC standard?

I think that SIS will probably be a reference implementation of GeoAPI
[1]. But I think that being a reference implementation of other
standards implies a strong participation in the standard working group,
which may be done on a case-by-case basis depending on volunteer energy.

However maybe your question was rather if SIS would be officially OGC
compliant? This is a different question. Being OGC compliant means
passing the CITE tests [2]. Actually, executing the CITE tests will be
part of SIS Maven build after we ported the relevant part (I mean, CITE
tests can be executed every time the project is built).

Companies can also paid OGC for testing their software and get the
official "OGC compliant" logo. This is something that Geomatys plans to
do, but it would be on top of SIS rather than directly in the SIS
project. With the above-mentioned CITE tests executed at build time, I
think that anyone would be able to do that on their side.

Note that CITE tests are essentially about Web Services. An other
significant source of tests is GIGS [3]. Those tests are being
implemented in GeoAPI, and SIS will also execute them.

On the question about how community will respond to Apache SIS, I think
that OGC standards are so large that no single software in the world
implement all of them. Different softwares may focus on different needs.
We can probably not please to every communities. My hope is rather to
have SIS well-suited to some communities (scientists, but also
non-scientists wanting to explore data in more dimensions than the usual
x,y).

     Martin

[1] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/geoapi
[2] http://cite.opengeospatial.org/teamengine/