airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Research project on integrating geoservices with Apache Airavata
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2013 03:01:25 GMT
Hi Martin,

Thank you for taking time to respond in detail. Please see comments inline:
On Apr 3, 2013, at 6:00 PM, Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisseaux@geomatys.fr> wrote:

> Le 03/04/13 23:30, Suresh Marru a écrit :
>> Hello Martin, It is really pleasing to hear such a commitment from some one deeply
engaged in OGC. While I agree with you on the influence on a younger project and also the
impact an open community process like Apache can have. I personally respect OGC as a governing
organization and as a standards defining body. But we all could not deny the fact that community
rallied behind OGC and produced some good software. I am curious to learn how will community
respond to Apache SIS vs any software endorsed by OGC? Do you see SIS positioning itself as
a reference implementation for the OGC standard?

> I think that SIS will probably be a reference implementation of GeoAPI [1]. But I think
that being a reference implementation of other standards implies a strong participation in
the standard working group, which may be done on a case-by-case basis depending on volunteer
energy.

That makes sense.

> However maybe your question was rather if SIS would be officially OGC compliant? This
is a different question. Being OGC compliant means passing the CITE tests [2]. Actually, executing
the CITE tests will be part of SIS Maven build after we ported the relevant part (I mean,
CITE tests can be executed every time the project is built).

I am more wondering on the OGC Compliance from an interoperability stand point and not so
much on official stamp. CITE tests as part of maven builds sounds very interesting.

> Companies can also paid OGC for testing their software and get the official "OGC compliant"
logo. This is something that Geomatys plans to do, but it would be on top of SIS rather than
directly in the SIS project. With the above-mentioned CITE tests executed at build time, I
think that anyone would be able to do that on their side.

> Note that CITE tests are essentially about Web Services. An other significant source
of tests is GIGS [3]. Those tests are being implemented in GeoAPI, and SIS will also execute
them.

> On the question about how community will respond to Apache SIS, I think that OGC standards
are so large that no single software in the world implement all of them. Different softwares
may focus on different needs. We can probably not please to every communities. My hope is
rather to have SIS well-suited to some communities (scientists, but also non-scientists wanting
to explore data in more dimensions than the usual x,y).

I agree with this. Looking forward to see SIS gets widely adopted.

Thanks again for taking time to elaborate in detail, I kind of got of a feel for it.
Suresh