airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Shameera Rathnayaka <shameerai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interested in doing GSoC 2013 with Apache Airavata
Date Sat, 23 Mar 2013 18:46:17 GMT
Hi Suresh,

 It was nice to meet you too,

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Shameera,
>
> You are right on time, it was nice meeting you at apache con and discuss
> your json contributions to axis2. Please see more below:
>
> On Mar 23, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Shameera Rathnayaka <shameerainfo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs ,
> >
> > I am Shameera Rathnayaka, a student from Sri Lanka. I did last year's
> GSoC
> > with Apache Axis2 project, titled as "Improved JSON support in Apache
> Axis2
> > with Google Gson"[1]{2} where I have introduced and implemented an
> > efficient way to provide XML infoset without converting JSON to XML
> > internally. It also had a little research phase about why Axis2 doesn't
> > support JSON mapped conversion.
> >
> > I am interested in doing  gsoc this time with Apache Airavata. I went
> > through the quick start tutorial, Airavata in five minutes tutorials and
> > Airavata in ten minutes tutorials. I saw that there are few discussion
> > threads and few projects are already tagged as gsoc2013. And yes , Apache
> > Airavata has a good documentation which gives clear image on what it does
> > and how we can use it. Currently I am following Airavata wiki.
>
> Either you are modest or the documentation really improved, I will hope
> later is more true :)

The documentation is actually good. It gives an abstract view, diagrams are
very self descriptive. As there are a set of tickets open to provide more
tutorials, we can do it better :)

> > As I am new to Airavata codebase i thought it would be good first try to
> > fix some potentially possible bugs in this level, while reading papers
> and
> > the documentation. I hope it won't take long time for me to be familiar
> > with the code base, with my existing Axis2 knowledge. Can someone please
> > point me out such possible issues and useful project of Apache Airavata
> at
> > this stage?
>
> This is very encouraging. Do you want to stick to the same topic of JSON
> support? Airavata has a great need for such support within Airavata
> registry. Applications are described in a defined xml schema [1] and stored
> in registry as a xml. This will be good to explore and improvise here on
> how to revisit this need with JSON. If XML Schema is a good way to go, then
> provide dynamic parsers at transport level.

Nice, I would like to work on this, saying that i am also interesting in
"Framework to run/monitor workflows locally with simulated/dummy BE"[1],  I
was thinking to start my contribution to Airavata with JSON support. If we
go with dynamic parser at transport level, we can use some code from my
previous project which has been committed into axis2 trunk.

As the GSOC project i would like to implement 'a framework to monitor
workflows with simulated environment'[1] project. It seems a much useful
feature to users as well as devs. Doing this, I think i can understand the
whole process going on Airavata. WDYT?

Thanks,
Shameera.

[1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-346