airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Sameera Jayaratna <sameerajayara...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Uniqueness of Airavata
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 04:23:50 GMT
Hi,

We went through the resources pointed out and some more. From the resources
we could get a good start and believe that we have some understanding about
the background for our project. Some of the important point came across are
as follows:

Workflows describe how a set of components and input output data are
related in a declarative way. There are similarities as well as differences
among scientific workflows and business workflows. One significant
identified was that business workflows are control flow oriented and
scientific workflow are data flow oriented.

Scientific gateways consist of a set of tools which provides convenient
interface for composing and monitoring workflows and allow scientists to do
experiments with less concern on underlying computational resources.

Workflow management systems consists of some core functionalities; model
and specify processes using design primitives, modify developed processes
such for verification and optimization and automate the execution of
processes by scheduling, controlling and monitoring the tasks. Apart from
them, there are some desirable requirements of a workflow management system
such as, collaboration, reproducibility and flexible environment. Even
though these requirements are fulfilled to some extent in the existing
workflow management systems they identified as not up to the required level.

The provenance of a data product contains information about the process and
data used to derive the data product.” It includes information such as who
created this data product and when, when it was modified and by whom, the
process used to create the data product and were two data products derived
from the same raw data. Provenance acts a important role in providing
reproducibility.

Thank you for the resources. We would appreciate if you can provide a
feedback and point out any misunderstandings we are having if there seems
to be any.

Thank you,

Sameera.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Danushka Menikkumbura <
danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would also recommend [3] and [4] for those of you who are just stepping
> in.
>
> [3]A. Barker and J. Van Hemert, “Scientific workflow: a survey and research
> directions,” Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics, pp. 746–753,
> 2008.
>
> [4]Y. Gil, E. Deelman, M. Ellisman, T. Fahringer, G. Fox, D. Gannon, C.
> Goble, M. Livny, L. Moreau, and J. Myers, Report on the 2006 NSF Workshop
> on Challenges of Scientific Workflows. Citeseer, 2006.
>
> Thanks,
> Danushka
>

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Pavithra Kulathilaka
> <pavithrask@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of a resource I referred was [1] which covers basic details to start
> > with workflow engines.
> > Also they have done a review on existing solutions for workflow
> > applications and their limitations with respect to scalability and
> > on-demand access. So I think this would be a great starting point. [1]
> > refers another research paper [2] (Chris has also mentioned about this)
> > which presents a detailed survey of existing Grid workflow systems w.r.t
> > their design, scheduling, information retrieval, fault tolerant and data
> > movement.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Pavithra.
> >
> > [1] S. Pandey, D. Karunamoorthy, and R. Buyya, “Workflow engine for
> > clouds,” Cloud Computing,
> > Principles and Paradigms, Wiley Series on Parallel and Distributed
> > Computing, pp. 321–344, 2011.
> >
> > [2] A Taxonomy of Workflow Management Systems for Grid Computing, Jia Yu
> > and Rajkumar Buyya
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:12 AM, Sanjaya Medonsa <sanjayamrt@gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > I agree with Danushka. When it comes to workflow engines I think it is
> > > better to study general concepts of workflow engines first and then
> study
> > > the prominent *Scientific* work flow engines (Some of the challenges
> are
> > > different from business workflow engines). Each prominent workflow
> engine
> > > comprise of several unique features and concepts while major
> abstraction
> > is
> > > workflows. I would like to add Apache OODT into list of prominent
> > workflow
> > > engines (Workflow processing components are key part of Apache OODT and
> > > used in several NASA missions and other research) . I have already some
> > > work on these items and would like to contribute them into wiki.

> [...]
Workflow

--
*Sameera Jayaratna*