airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unicore depenedencies to maven central
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:38:21 GMT
Hi Shahbaz,

On Mar 25, 2013, at 12:58 PM, Shahbaz Memon <m.memon@fz-juelich.de> wrote:

> Hi Suresh,
>
> Hosting dependencies on (non-third party) public repositories is quite
> natural in open source.

I would agree with you in general. But apache releases have strictly be legal complaint, not
just the Unicore dependencies, but transitive dependencies as well. When official Apache Airavata
binaries get distributed, we need to ensure we are not bundling any incompatible licenses
which will over ride the apache license [2]. Relying on non-maven central repositories increases
the risk of this vulnerability. There are other reasons why ASF is phasing out the reliance
on third party dependencies I will find pointers.

Thanks,
Suresh

[1] - http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
[2] - http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html

> But it is not easy for Unicore to move all the
> project distributions on any other repository at this moment.
> Nevertheless we will consider this in the future versions, but cannot
> promise on any distribution right now.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Shahbaz
>

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Shahbaz,
>>
>> As part of the Apache project practices, we have been trying to move away from any
custom maven repos. For any 3rd party dependencies which are not available from maven central,
sonatype provides a open source maven repo [1] which gets indexes to maven central [2].

>> Can you please consider adding Unicore dependencies to [1] so we can remove the need
for having  a 3rd party repo [3]?