airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Support high-throughput computing and development/integration strategies
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2013 02:21:34 GMT
Hi Yan,

Welcome to the Airavata Community.

Thank for you these great thoughts. My initial reaction was how is it different than what
Airavata currently provides, in the sense of adding a provider and then working at a higher
level through workflow representation and specifying the interaction through API. But as I
read through your email few times, I kind of understand the perspective. I think if we flip
the way we think and focus in the features like these, it might lead to fundamental way we
look at Airavata design.

It will be great if you can review Airavata design from a user-oriented perspective and provide
constructive feedback. We can have google hangout and explain the current design. I am sure
it it will be a bit tough o understand from website/wiki  but complain please - constructive
complaints are the number 1 contributions to a apache project).

Cheers,
Suresh

On Mar 2, 2013, at 5:43 PM, Yan Liu <yanliu@cybergis.org> wrote:

> High-throughput computing (HTC) resources are available from national cyberinfrastructures
such as the Open Science Grid and NSF XSEDE. HTC resources are suitable for running serial
or embarrassingly parallel user jobs. Unlike high-performance computing (HPC) resources, HTC
environment is more distributed, loosely coupled, and managed individually by various resource
contributors. For HTC users, a HTC environment presents a virtual resource pool with dynamically
aggregated resources and can be accessed through a unified client software (e.g., OSG/VDT/Condor).

> Integrating HTC capabilities in Airavata is important for users to access HTC resources
seamlessly as they access other kinds of computing environments supported by Airavata. At
first glance, the integration may be straightforward by adding middleware support (e.g., Condor
or BOSCO) into Airavata. However, I am proposing a user-oriented approach to the integration
in order to fully leverage HTC client software's capabilities.

> An Airavata user does not care the underlying middleware when she/he composes a job,
ideally. What the user cares is the computational capability provided by the underlying resources.
A HTC environment, with the support from the Condor middleware, is desirable for running:
> - large batch jobs
> - parameter-sweeping jobs
> - stochastic jobs with the same configuration but requiring a large number of repeated
runs in order to obtain statistically confident results
> - workflow jobs that can be represented as DAG (directed acyclic graph)
>
> Therefore, instead of presenting a raw Condor interface to Airavata users, tailored interfaces
to aforementioned user job types will be more useful. Technically, Condor submmit script syntax
supports all of the described jobs through job macros and DAG support. If Airavata can bridge
user job requirements and the composition of the technical Condor submission script, HTC resources
can be more effectively represented for and used by Airavata community.

> The development roadmap is upon Airavata team's design, I'm willing to contribute a disease
mapping application for the testing and evaluation of the new components and capabilities
developed in Airavata for this purpose.