airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.am...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Handling security context in airavata
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:59:46 GMT
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Raminder Singh
<raminderjsingh@gmail.com> wrote:
> A workflow can have multiple application (service). Is it invocation context of the complete
workflow or invocation context of individual application in a workflow?

It is the "invocation context of the complete workflow". If user has
applications talking to multiple grid providers, all credential ids
(community user names) should be sent  in the request.

Thanks
Amila

> Raminder
> On Feb 12, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Amila Jayasekara wrote:
>
>> Hi Raminder,
>>
>> More answers inline.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Amila
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Raminder Singh
>> <raminderjsingh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks Amila for describing it well. Are you planning to create the security
context per workflow(Workflow interpreter level) or per workflow application(GFAC API level)?
Difference is, GFAC knows the type of application and can create/request a particular credential
as needed fill it into the conext. Then context can be shared between input/output chain and
provider. Workflow interpreter does not know anything about the type of service and need to
fill all the different credentials into context before invoking any application and one of
them will be left unused. I thing having a single security object per application is required.
I can think about cases where user want to transfer gridftp files to EC2 provider but i dont
think we are addressing that problem yet.  Problems of having multiple security in the context
will make the context object bulky and lot of time object will be not used.

>> I would say a security context for each invocation. I am not sure
>> whether you meant the same thing by saying "per application". If not
>> please describe.
>>

>>> How do you expect users to send security information (Format)? Means if i have
workflow with Grid and EC2 service, i need to call some API functions to set both with different
object types. How do you think this to work for non java clients?