airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Triggering a workflow
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 16:26:32 GMT
Hi Raman,

When Airavata Workflow Engine was BPEL based, there was event triggering support. But since
it moved to Workflow Interpreter, the orchestration has been request based. AFAIK, there is
no triggered workflow launch in the interpreter. One trivial way I can think of is to use
the API and launch it and have this launch call as a service within the master workflow.

But if I am understanding the use case correctly, it looks like more a better fit for hierarchal
worklfows (or sub workflows). If this is the case, technically you should be able to do so,
with two caveats.
* XBaya had support for hierarchal workflow monitoring, but the part which opens a new workflow
is based on workflow  instance id. This is probably defunct now since it used to contact GPEL
engine to open a workflow. I need to look at the code, but this needs to be revisited to fetch
the sub workflow from registry.
* I wonder if the provenance data model might be flat for sub workflows. Probably the messy
hierarchies could be tolerated (with some effort on correlation with workflow instance ids')
but to make this more first class, I would suggest to revisit the data model as well.

Cheers,
Suresh

On Feb 11, 2013, at 11:49 AM, Raminder Singh <raminderjsingh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a requirent to trigger a workflow on completion of another workflow's successfully
execution. Use case is, there is a main workflow for data processing and post processing workflow
to run lot of outputs produced during previous steps in parallel. Steps can be built as one
workflow but then the workflow becomes complicated and difficult to restart in case of execution
failures. It will also take away flexibility to run post processing on different data sets.
I want these as separate workflows for validation and for flexibility. Is it possible in Airavata?
if yes, please share. If no, what do you think?