airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Handling security context in airavata
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:28:55 GMT
Hi Amila,

Thank you for bringing the discussion back to the mailing list. I have few questions embedded
below:

> 1. In the new GFac handler architecture we can set a security context.
> This security context is used through out handler executions. We need
> to populate security credentials retrieved from ACS (Airavata
> Credential Store) to the security context. But we need to make sure
> the populated security context will work for all providers (E.g :-
> XSEDE, EC 2, Local Cluster etc ...).
> So we thought of storing credentials in a generic object within the
> security context and allow provider implementation to convert
> credentials to correct object type (Keys, Tokens etc …).

Will this generic object be limited to X509 Certificates [1] ? I wonder if there is any current
security mechanism which is not covered by this standard.

> 2. We also discussed about how to handle security when there are
> multiple providers per request. E.g :- for a single request we may
> need to transfer files between 2 GRID providers. Maybe from EC2 to
> XSEDE. To handle such scenario we need to have more than one security
> credentials in the security context. Inorder to support this use case
> we can pass more than one community user names in the request.

Will this be a community user name or a handle to the ACS credential (not the temporarily
created certificate/token but the registered security identity)? I ask because, if we register
EC2 or GCE (google compute engine), there will be no user names but a registered security
certificates and I assume its client responsibility to manage these handles.

> 3. Another concern that arose during the chat was about renewing
> credentials. As per now OA4MP (OAuth for My Proxy) does not support
> credential renewing. This might have an impact on current deployments
> once 0.7 is released. I guess the ideal solution would be to have
> credential renewing at OA4MP side. Until we have that feature in OA4MP
> we can use a configuration file to read my proxy data. (As we do now).
> So if "credential store" credentials are expired or not available we
> will use configured default my proxy security data.

I would recommend against having the need for a my proxy password again, that counters the
whole purpose of ACS right? I understand its a work around but still. There are two renewal
issues here are, which one are you referring to here? The my proxy proxy renewal beyond the
default life time of 11 days? or a delegated proxy which currently is defaulted to 2 hours?

Cheers,
Suresh
[1] - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2459.txt