airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.am...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Initial outline of features for 0.6 Airavata release
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2012 05:09:11 GMT
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Saminda,
>
> Thanks for taking the initiate on the release and implicitly to be the release manager
:), the release management instructions [1] are in good shape now and I will be happy to help
with release logistics and update the instructions as we learn through.

> Comments on the release features:
>
> On Nov 7, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Raminderjeet Singh <raminderjsingh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One step should be to remove dependency of direct sql interactions from Xbaya and
use Rest services. Right now user need to know database credentials to connect to airavata
registry from Xbaya.

> + 1, this should get addressed through the rest interface, but we should focus on this
aspect to ensure. A good way to check is all clients including xbaya should not need airavata-server.properties
and should only need airavata-client.properties with default registry service end point which
should be configurable from xbaya menu.

>> On Nov 7, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Saminda Wijeratne wrote:
>>
>>> Main features targeted for 0.6 release so far,
>>>
>>> 1. Registry Rest Service API
>>> The Registry Service API will be the same as Registry API in Airavata 0.5.
>>> It will have JSON support to handle the complex objects.
>
> A good addition. We need to ensure, airavata client uses this service api's and ensure
all interactions to airavata come through the client. I created lira's AIRAVATA-631, AIRAVATA-632
and AIRAVATA-633 on this topic.

>>> 2. Security framework for Airavata web services
>>> This is the first introduction of a security framework for working with
>>> Airavata system. For 0.6 we will have this security framework applied to
>>> the Registry Rest service. Currently supporting authentication mechanisms
>>> based on above framework are the following,
>>>
>>>  - Basic Authentication [shipped as the default configuration with h2
>>>  back-end]
>>>  - Session Authentication
>
> We first should asses the feasibility and implementation on adding security modules into
the release. Since they are in the sandbox now, probably a good time to merge them into trunk
and brainstorm how this will impact tutorials and so forth. I see an open JIRA's on this -
AIRAVATA-560.

+1.

Let me further explain about the security framework. The security
framework is mainly focusing on the REST service interface. Using this
security framework we can build implementations to handle various
protocols, such as BasicAuth, OAuth, NTLM etc ... Also using security
framework we can implement plugins to connect to various user stores
such as databases, LDAP server, external web services etc ...
As per now we have following protocol implementations,
1. Basic Auth
2. Session Ticket

We have following user store connecters,
1. Database
2. LDAP

In addition to above, using the framework, users can implement their
own protocol implementations and user store implementation.
Users are required to modify a configuration file called
authenticator.xml inorder to enable security. I will write a tutorial
on this.

Further for demonstrating purpose we will be creating a user table in
our default database (Derby) and use that for authenticating users.
Also we will provide an interface to register new users.

Further feedback appreciated.

Thanks
Amila