airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial outline of features for 0.6 Airavata release
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 21:11:27 GMT
Hi Saminda,

Thanks for taking the initiate on the release and implicitly to be the release manager :),
the release management instructions [1] are in good shape now and I will be happy to help
with release logistics and update the instructions as we learn through.

Comments on the release features:

On Nov 7, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Raminderjeet Singh <raminderjsingh@gmail.com> wrote:

> One step should be to remove dependency of direct sql interactions from Xbaya and use
Rest services. Right now user need to know database credentials to connect to airavata registry
from Xbaya.

+ 1, this should get addressed through the rest interface, but we should focus on this aspect
to ensure. A good way to check is all clients including xbaya should not need airavata-server.properties
and should only need airavata-client.properties with default registry service end point which
should be configurable from xbaya menu.

> On Nov 7, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Saminda Wijeratne wrote:
>
>> Main features targeted for 0.6 release so far,
>>
>> 1. Registry Rest Service API
>> The Registry Service API will be the same as Registry API in Airavata 0.5.
>> It will have JSON support to handle the complex objects.

A good addition. We need to ensure, airavata client uses this service api's and ensure all
interactions to airavata come through the client. I created lira's AIRAVATA-631, AIRAVATA-632
and AIRAVATA-633 on this topic.

>> 2. Security framework for Airavata web services
>> This is the first introduction of a security framework for working with
>> Airavata system. For 0.6 we will have this security framework applied to
>> the Registry Rest service. Currently supporting authentication mechanisms
>> based on above framework are the following,
>>
>>  - Basic Authentication [shipped as the default configuration with h2
>>  back-end]
>>  - Session Authentication

We first should asses the feasibility and implementation on adding security modules into the
release. Since they are in the sandbox now, probably a good time to merge them into trunk
and brainstorm how this will impact tutorials and so forth. I see an open JIRA's on this -
AIRAVATA-560.

Cheers,
Suresh

[1] - http://airavata.apache.org/development/release-management.html