airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jGlobus 2.0 sandbox project
Date Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:55:53 GMT
Hi All,

The grid-tools sandbox area is working well for experimental stuff. I would like add clients
to talk to clusters work load managers like MOAB to further explore. For now I will create
a stand alone example, if it works well, I will start a discussion on if we can add it as
a provider to GFac. For now, its just a FYI.

Cheers,
Suresh

[1] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/sandbox/grid-tools/

On Nov 9, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@iu.edu> wrote:

> I assume there are no objections to create a sandbox project to experiment with new libraries.

> Suresh
>
> On Oct 11, 2012, at 12:03 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@iu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Dev's.
>>
>> Currently Airavata is relying on jglobus 1.8 for Grid interactions. The library works
ok but has been with some limitations:

>> * jglobus 1.x version is no longer actively supported as it was superseded by jglobus
2.0 effort [1]
>> * many dependencies of 1.x are not in maven central and it looks like the time spent
on making them all available is not worthwhile. jglobus 2.x has limited dependencies and many
are in maven central.
>> * jglobus1.x is monolithic with all security, file transfer and job management bundled
together. Jglobus2.0 refactored these into separate libraries which will be useful for Airavata
going forward.
>> * Airavata should take advantage of all the GRAM protocol state changes and also
would need to local job id like features.

>> If there are are objections, I would like to create a sandbox area for and test the
jglobus2.0. If it works well, then we will have some refactoring to do in gfac, but first
step is to test the new libraries.