airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Workflow Notification Report
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 16:08:31 GMT

On Sep 6, 2012, at 12:03 PM, Raminderjeet Singh <raminderjsingh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Suresh Marru wrote:
>
>> +1 on the requirement and making it part of the release 0.6 or later.
>>
>> As for solution, I think we really need to formalize workflow monitoring and decouple
it from workflow interpreter. It should be aware of the state of workflows in interaction
with enactment engine but loosely coupled with it.
> Yes it can be away from workflow interpreter. Other other place which have the workflow
state and resolve the relationship of notification is provenance manager. We can call that
as monitoring and provenance as we don't want to listen same notification twice to judge start/termination
of workflow.  Reports can be generated from saved data based on some filters.

+ 1, both monitoring and provenance should only ingest all the information once and retrieve
it with different granularities.

Suresh

>> Like this example, we can foresee users asking, please tweet me once done, or push
a Mac notification, or update my Facebook wall that the workflow I ran is finished :)
> These are all good requirement and can be developed as we go. We can have the framework
extendable.

>> It will be nice to have volunteers implement a first class workflow monitoring support.
There is a code in sandbox [1] for reference, I don't mean to stick to its implementation,
but to get an idea and develop a pluggable monitoring framework harnessing the workflow tracking
schema and ws messenger capabilities.