activemq-users mailing list archives

From Felipe Fraga <felipefr...@gmail.com>
Subject Shared store vs Replication with Colocated and Scale Down
Date Mon, 27 May 2019 12:24:52 GMT
Hello all,

I have some Apache Artemis running on identical docker containers and I am
trying to setup HA using modified configuration from the examples:

     <ha-policy>
         <shared-store>
            <colocated>
               <backup-port-offset>100</backup-port-offset>
               <backup-request-retries>-1</backup-request-retries>

 <backup-request-retry-interval>2000</backup-request-retry-interval>
               <max-backups>1</max-backups>
               <request-backup>true</request-backup>
               <master>
                  <failover-on-shutdown>true</failover-on-shutdown>
               </master>
               <slave>
                  <scale-down/>
               </slave>
            </colocated>
         </shared-store>
      </ha-policy>

Seems almost ok to me, because when a master shutdowns normally (usually
because of low usage), its backup on another server will activate with the
shutdown server messages.

Problem here is that with shared-store I will have to create a unique
journal directory for each container on a shared docker volume. I believe
this will start leaving ghost directories in my volume that I don't know if
they are being used by a server or not.

So, thinking about replication, I believe that after a normal shutdown, the
journal directory associated with the shutdown server can be safely
deleted. Now If I try to configure it to use replication instead of
shared-store, the configuration is invalid because master doesn't have
failover-on-shutdown on replication. But I thinks that is not ok to me,
because in this case after a server scale down, any messages that were
being processed by it will be lost.

Can I get this behaviour with replication?

Thanks again.

Felipe