activemq-users mailing list archives

From Jiri Daněk <jda...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: JAVA will be licensed from 2019
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2018 10:19:38 GMT
On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 11:36 AM Vadhiraj <vadhiraj.ramachandra@aptean.com>
wrote:

> As per below link JAVA will b e licensed starting from 2019.   Will
> ActiveMQ
> remove  dependancy on JAVA or ACtivemq will buy license for JAVA or
> ActiveMQ
> user should buy license
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/eol-135779.html

Oracle is not the only Java vendor in the world. Java is bigger than one
company and even if Oracle disappeared tomorrow, there will be demand and
supply of Java maintenance releases from the other vendors.

OpenJDK is free and will be free. That means that Linux users will not be
affected (distribution maintainers will build OpenJDK packages and ship
them in the distro). For example, CentOS/RHEL will offer LTS support for
OpenJDK, on par with what we saw with JDK 6/8, on the order of 6 years
after initial release.

On Windows and MacOS, unless you can/want to depend on personal-use
OracleJDK, the situation is somewhat more dire. I am personally hoping that
the Red Hat Windows build of OpenJDK
https://developers.redhat.com/products/openjdk/download/ may become freely
available (without the development-only condition, without support) and
fill the space. Then there is https://adoptopenjdk.net build, and
https://www.azul.com/downloads/zulu/. Not sure about IBM Java, what the
terms and conditions are there.
--