activemq-users mailing list archives

From Simon Lundström <si...@su.se>
Subject dlqDeliveryFailureCause Message Expired and deadLetterStrategy
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2018 09:03:19 GMT
Hey all!

We're running 5.15.3 and we're using
<https://github.com/ARGOeu/nagios-plugins-activemq/> for monitoring
(SSL'ed) OpenWire. Healthchecks fail and to not get our aliveness-check
queue filled with old messages we added TTL via
<https://github.com/ARGOeu/nagios-plugins-activemq/blob/3d6d43c/lib/OpenWireProbe/src/org/activemq/probes/OpenWireProbe.java#L124-L126>.
We got one DLQ'd OpenWire check message and just discarded it but when
we got the second one I started to investigate.

The message which got put into the DLQ has the propery:
dlqDeliveryFailureCause 	java.lang.Throwable: Message Expired.
Expiration:1537468027378

Our configuration related to the queue aliveness-test in activemq.xml
is:

[...]
              <authorizationEntry
                queue="aliveness-test.>"
                read="monitoring"
                write="monitoring"
                admin="admins"
              />
[...]
      <queue physicalName="aliveness-test"/>
[...]
          <policyEntry queue="aliveness-test">
            <!--
              Tell the dead letter strategy not to process expired messages
              so that they will just be discarded instead of being sent to
              the DLQ
            -->
            <deadLetterStrategy>
              <sharedDeadLetterStrategy processExpired="false" />
            </deadLetterStrategy>
          </policyEntry>
[...]

I just noticed a bug that our TTL is set to 60ms (instead of seconds)
but that's just how fast ActiveMQ is ; ) So I don't think that's
related.

So what we expect is for those messages to just get deleted but instead
we they get DLQ'd into ActiveMQ.DLQ (since no DLQ is configured).

Thanks and have a great weekend!

BR,
- Simon

Simon Lundström