activemq-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Bish <tabish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Artemis 2.6.2] AMQP messages going to expiry queue, redelivery off that queue is failing
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2018 19:19:14 GMT
On 08/13/2018 07:12 PM, Dan Langford wrote:
> some of my users are attempting a pattern to deduplicate messages based on
> a time window instead of a fixed amount of space (a duplicate id cache)
>
> so far the concept has been working very well. So they send their AMQP
> messages (qpid-jms-client) into a Last Value Queue with an appropriate
> identifier in the _AMQ_LVQ_NAME. They also set a TimeToLive on the message
> that is essentially the lag they will allow as they want to wait for
> possible duplicates. If any duplicates come in the Last Value Queue
> behavior is replacing the older message with the newer message until the
> expiration. expired messages are delivered to the preconfigured expiry
> queue where their application is listening. This is not perfect but its not
> intended to be. Its just intended to reduce additional unnecessary
> processing and they understand this is not a guarantee. It really helps
> with a system that produces messages in a way that has flurries of
> "notifications" about the same assetID over and over again.
>
> BUT where we are seeing is a problem is when we are consuming from the
> queue used to hold expired messages and we toss some exception and the
> message needs to be redelivered. the first time or two the message is
> redelivered it is delivered OK. But when the JMSXDeliveryCount is about 3
> or 4 (we use redelivery delay and multipliers to spread these out) our
> qpid-jms-client stops being able to read the messages.
>
> we were only able to reproduce this when an AMQP message expired onto the
> queue. (expired from a LVQ in case that is relevant). if we place the
> message directly on a queue and test different exception and redelivery
> scenarios we cannot reproduce this behavior.
>
> i enable the qpid-jms-client frame logging (via env variable
> PN_TRACE_FRM=true) and i saw that in the situation when the client code
> cannot access the payload, even though the broker WAS still sending the
> payload. so i thought it was some odd issue with the client. The Apache
> Qpid team responded that the issue seems to be that the broker starts to
> send some ill formed payloads in this scenario. i dont want to repeat the
> stack traces and their response, you can read those here
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b1fd9c09a1f66f5529601a8651fbb96585c011b22bbd84e07c4f23b1@%3Cusers.qpid.apache.org%3E
>
> would it be helpful if i tested that this happens if there is not a LVQ
> involved? i could have a message in a non-LVQ expire to another queue and
> see if redeliveries over their get messed up after a few attempts. For the
> record this is AMQP for producing and consuming. i do notice the messages
> waiting in the expiry queue have much more headers messages sent directly
> to a queue from client code. they seem to be headers full of information
> about the message as it left the previous queue. I tried to send a message
> directly to the expiry queue with all these headers to determine if it was
> [...]

A great place to start is to create a unit test that reproduces the
issue.  You can look at the Artemis unit tests for AMQP to get some
inspiration on how to set one up.  Then try and create the smallest
possible test that can reproduce the issue to make it easier to narrow
in on where the issue might be.

The AMQP tests in Artemis are located here:

https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/tree/master/tests/integration-tests/src/test/java/org/apache/activemq/artemis/tests/integration/amqp

--
Tim Bish