activemq-users mailing list archives

From Justin Bertram <jbert...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1. Windows Platform support, 2.Net Client examples for AMQP Apache ActiveMQ Artemis 3. Persistent Storage
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2018 17:55:16 GMT
> How good is the support for Windows Platform

I'm not sure what you mean here specifically so I'll just provide a general
answer. Artemis is written in Java so it runs on any platform with a JVM -
Windows included.

> Do we have all equivalent examples for AMQP DotNet which are given for
JMS API

No.

> Do we see any advantages of File system vs database persistence, One
could be speed...

Speed is certainly an advantage of the file-based journal vs. database.
Here are a few other potential advantages:

  - Cost. There is no need to purchase a database solution or pay for
support. There is also no need to pay for hardware for the database to run
on.
  - Simplicity. There is no need to deploy database drivers or configure
JDBC connection details on the broker, configure the database, etc.

> ... But when it comes to security of stored messages, backup and restore.
Is there no security with filesystem like we have have for databases.

No security for file-systems? Security for file-systems is typically a core
function of the operating system. It's extremely easy and common to set up
file-system security in Linux environments. I assume the same is true in
Windows.

It's worth noting that in almost every case the database itself will store
its information on the file-system so any lack of security would impact
both the file-based journal and a database.

> Can anyone who have access to file directly read messages from it by
opening in a text editor...

The data stored in the file-based journal is binary and therefore not human
readable. A user couldn't open the journal in a text editor and simply read
the data. That said, it's also not encrypted so users with access could
theoretically get the information. That's why operating systems provide
things like role-based access control for file-systems.

As before, it's worth noting here that the same problem applies to any
database which stores its data on the file-system. Anybody with access
could theoretically get the data.

> How is the backup mechanism for it...

Simply copy the journal files to a backup. They are just files, after all.

> Does it support restoring  similar to SQL Databases

If something happens to the journal (e.g. hard drive crash) simply stop the
broker and restore the journal files from the backup. I'm not terribly
familiar with databases these days so I'm not sure how it compares, but
restoring files from a backup can be as simple as a single command.

> In case of a hard drive crash, parts of SQL Databases can still be
recovered, Do we have similar possibilities for filesystem ?

If parts of a journal file are corrupted for some reason that will not
invalidate the entire journal so it will still be possible to recover data.

> Can we rely on the filesystem for Message storage where loss of data is
critical ?

I'm not sure the journal itself has much control over this. I believe this
depends more on your infrastructure to support data availability (e.g.
RAID, regular backups, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Justin