activemq-users mailing list archives

From Anindya Haldar <anindya.hal...@oracle.com>
Subject RE: Artemis 2.4.0 message loss in durability tests upon system power-off
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2018 17:32:26 GMT
We powered off the VM while the producers were kicking and alive, and no one was consuming.
Then we tallied for the number of committed messages by the producers. After that we restart
the VM, and then restart the broker, and take the queue stats. Then we use the JMS QueueBrowser
API to count the number of actual messages in the queues. Finally we consumer all messages
from the queues and tally them against the number of messages committed by the producers at
the time the failure was triggered.

We are looking forward to run the tests using a bare metal system in order to eliminate VirtualBox
VM from the picture.

Thanks,
Anindya Haldar

Oracle Marking Cloud

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Bertram [mailto:jbertram@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:58 AM
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: Re: Artemis 2.4.0 message loss in durability tests upon system power-off

The "messages added" metric for a queue is volatile so when the broker is stopped it will
be reset.  When the broker is started again the "messages added" will be 0.  In your test
you say the broker is "powered off" and then you "resume" the broker.  What exactly does this
mean?  It seems clear that you aren't actually shutting down the broker otherwise the "messages
added" would be 0 when you started your consumers.  Please clarify.

Also, how do the broker's metrics compare with the producer's and consumer's metrics?  I assume
here that the producer and consumer are both tracking the number of messages they produce/consume.

Also, do you have a way to reproduce this without a VM?

Justin