activemq-users mailing list archives

From Clebert Suconic <clebert.suco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Confusion surrounding the ActiveMQ project roadmap
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2017 21:59:59 GMT
> Another thought - having both brokers long term seems redundant as there is
> a huge amount of overlap, and I believe the intent (please correct me if
> this is wrong) is eventually to have Artemis superset all of the *key*
> functionality from AMQ 5.x.

I think all the features are covered at this point. The one exception
is Retroactive Consumers.. however this could be done with browsers
and paging.
It still on my personal list of improvements I want to make. I could
make it happen sooner with some demand.. So I don't think it blocks
anything going forward.

The other feature that has been brought a lot of times.. is virtual
topics.. however with the address model in Artemis.. it's not needed..
as virtual topic was a way to emulate a queue within a topic, which is
pretty much what we have on the address model.

> In order to facilitate a move, users of AMQ 5.x are going to need a smooth
> transition.  Note that I don't mean to say it has to be seamless, just that
> it has to be smooth - easy enough to understand and execute.

> Let me pose some questions here that may help move this forward:
>
>   - Do we know what it takes to migrates customers from AMQ 5.x to Artemis?

https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/migration.html

^^ It's in good shape IMO already.

>   - Do we have a comprehensive list of features that will remain supported?
>   - Do we have a list of features that will not be retained?

We had a few discussions in the past... there could be minor features
still needed.. but it's getting better each day as users needed new
functionality.

The community aspect from the apache activemq community certainly
improved the software.

IMHO ActiveMQ Artemis is good enough that it can be improved as needed
when missing points are found.. being an AMQ 5 missing  feature or
anything else that users will need.

> Hope this helps.  I honestly don't have a strong opinion on the long-term
> vision here.  With that said, I do have some strong thoughts on
> consolidation in the near-term and what's important in getting to a
> long-term vision.

Artemis has been under works for 3 years and something now...
I am biased to speak about it as I work on it as part of my daily job
on this codebase.. but I have seen it getting better each day.. with
contributors from different companies.