activemq-users mailing list archives

From Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>
Subject Re: Running several instances of ActiveMQ behind a proxy/load balancer
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2017 03:26:26 GMT
I've used ActiveMQ and AWS ELBs, but not the two together, so this response
is based solely on what I know about the two products and on prior posts on
this mailing list.

I don't believe you'll be able to make this work using AWS ELBs. As you
said, ELBs have a pretty simple model of unhealthy instances, and they will
terminate them and replace them when they're determined to be unhealthy.
>From an ELB standpoint, it's fronting a homogenous pool of hosts that can
be used interchangeably, and there are no accommodations available - that
I'm aware of - for having a pool of heterogenous instances with different
roles (even transient roles like master and slave).

I assume that a part of your goal in having an ELB is to have a constant
way to refer to the broker(s) even in the face of instance termination
(which would result in a new IP address). Route 53 or elastic IPs could
both be used to solve that problem, but another way to do it would be to
have two ELBs that are both backed by an ASG with a target size of 1, and
have clients use failover:(elb1,elb2) when connecting. Then you can
terminate and recreate the hosts behind the two ELBs at will without
modifying the client URI.

Tim