activemq-users mailing list archives

From Michael André Pearce <michael.andre.pea...@me.com>
Subject Re: JBoss AMQ versus Artemis AMQ
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2017 10:23:51 GMT
Hi Oliver

In that case I'd suggest when speaking with a vendor you ask them to provide contacts of organisations
willing to discuss the benefits they've had with you, via other channels.

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone

> On 25 Aug 2017, at 10:44, Oliver B. Fischer <o.b.fischer@swe-blog.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> you are right. We are aware of pros and cons you mentioned. The actual reason for asking
here on the list is/was to find people who know if it is worth to pay for JBoss AMQ or not.
Such a decision is not easy in our environment because of the consequences.

> But thanks a lot for your answer
>
> Oliver
>

>> Am 24.08.17 um 23:28 schrieb Michael André Pearce:
>> Hi Oliver,
>>
>> Rather than answer this for a specific vendor as Apache spaces are meant to be vendor
neutral e.g. shouldn't be pushing /selling their products. You will find though on activemq
site a list of known vendors providing such services.

>> This is the same as probably most Apache open source products where commercial vendors
sell support. Good other examples are the Apache Hadoop projects with Hadoop vendors, Apache
Kafka and Apache Ignite all having vendors backing those projects.

>> In general the benefits of Apache Open Source is that you can use the product un-restricted
and at any scale.
>> Like wise most Apache projects are very active with most critical issues being patched
quite quickly.

>> User forums are great places to ask questions or discuss issues, where other users
or the devs on the projects help each other.

>> You of course can always fork and self patch as well. Some large companies go this
route as well as the other end of the scale with tech start ups.

>> The benefits of vendors that provide support for open source project, is that typically
they will have committers on the project or developers who are at least very active, this
means they know the code and in cases of critical issue obviously you have them to call upon
with commercial SLAs.

>> Like wise typically vendors will fork the project and bundle a project with some
additional extras or bundle a couple of projects together as a single product package.

>> Another part is obviously they tend to provide long term support for particular versions,
if required.

>> To understand further what specific vendors offer obviously it's best to visit their
websites or contact them direct.

>> Cheers
>> Mike
>>

>>> On 24 Aug 2017, at 21:46, Oliver B. Fischer <o.b.fischer@swe-blog.net>
wrote:

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> my colleagues and I are going to build a new distributed system based on Apache
Artemis.

>>> Now we have to answer the question to ourselves if we should go for JBoss AMQ
with support contract or should we use Apache Artemis directly.