activemq-users mailing list archives

From Richard Wagg <r.w...@cmcmarkets.com>
Subject RE: Artems: ParallelGC vs CMS
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2017 10:09:58 GMT
CMS should not be used in incremental mode for any modern hardware  - see https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/vm/gctuning/cms.html.

Try the below, and take a look at what the GC log output shows?
-Xms8G -Xmx8G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC  -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/apps/activemq/

Extra args for GC logging
-XX:+PrintGCCause -XX:+PrintGCDetails  -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution  -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps
-XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xloggc:/var/log/apps/activemq/gclog.log

-----Original Message-----
From: abhijith [mailto:topcoderabhijith@gmail.com]
Sent: 07 February 2017 18:53
To: users@activemq.apache.org
Subject: Artems: ParallelGC vs CMS

Hi,

Has there any test done for Artemis using CMS GC?

Context:  We were using default parallel GC with 6G RAM and were facing an issue where old
gen was filling up without full GC being run.  We use Netty Transport configuration and have
one master/slave setup with static configuration.  Our monitoring alerts for total memory
usage were firing.
So we ran some tests and found that old gen was growing very slowly in case of CMS, but very
rapidly in case of parallel GC.

We switched to using CMS, but after changing to CMS we started seeing connection errors when
session factory is trying to create a new connection.
This was happening consistently which forced us to roll back.  After rollback with parallel
gc we do not see this issue at all.  We are kind of confused on how selection of GC can affect
creating new connections.  Any insight would be really helpful.

GG parameters:  "-XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -Xms8G -Xmx8G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
-XX:CMSIncrementalDutyCycleMin=10 -XX:CMSIncrementalDutyCycle=20 -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled "

Caused by:
org.apache.activemq.artemis.api.core.ActiveMQIllegalStateException:
AMQ119024: Could not select a TransportConfiguration to create SessionFactory
        at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.client.impl.ServerLocatorImpl.createSessionFactory(ServerLocatorImpl.java:773)
~[artemis-core-client-1.4.0.jar:1.4.0]
        at
org.apache.activemq.artemis.jms.client.ActiveMQConnectionFactory.createConnectionInternal(ActiveMQConnectionFactory.java:756)
~[artemis-jms-client-1.4.0.jar:1.4.0]
        ... 122 common frames omitted

Thanks
Abhi

Spread bets and Contracts for Difference ("CFDs") are leveraged products and carry a high
level of risk to your capital as prices may move rapidly against you. Losses can exceed your
deposits and you may be required to make further payments. Binaries and Countdowns carry a
level of risk to your capital as you could lose all of your investment. Invest only what you
can afford to lose. These products may not be suitable for all clients therefore ensure you
understand the risks and seek independent advice.

CMC Markets UK plc and CMC Spreadbet plc are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority in the United Kingdom except for the provision of Countdowns for which CMC Markets
is licensed and regulated by the Gambling Commission, reference 42013.

The content of this e-mail (including any attachments) is strictly confidential and is for
the sole use of the intended addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. Any disclosure,
copying, dissemination or use of its content (including any attachments) is strictly prohibited.
CMC Markets UK plc and CMC Spreadbet plc reserve the right to intercept and monitor the content
of the e-mail messages to and from its systems.

E-mails may be interfered with or may contain viruses or other defects for which CMC Markets
UK plc and CMC Spreadbet plc accept no responsibility. It is the responsibility of the recipient
to carry out a virus check on the e-mail and any attachment(s).

This communication is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of
a financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction unless specifically
presented as such.

CMC Markets UK plc and CMC Spreadbet plc are registered in England and Wales with Company
Numbers 02448409 and 02589529 and with their registered offices at 133 Houndsditch, London,
EC3A 7BX.