activemq-users mailing list archives

From Bruce Ritchie <bruce.ritc...@gmail.com>
Subject Artemis question on JMS clustered topic and high availability
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 19:30:15 GMT
I've been investigating switching from a single activemq server to a
cluster of artemis servers on aws and I have a question on clustered jms
topics and high availability.

Firstly, I like the idea that the producers/consumers can connect to any
node in the cluster and fail over (client side) to a different node if a
node goes down without loosing any messages with the understanding that the
producers may have to retry submissions.

In my usage scenario I do not have any queues - just two jms topics.
Multiple producers, multiple consumers. What I've been trying to figure out
is if I can away with not having a <ha-policy>. The clustered topic example
seems to indicate that with a message-load-balancing set to STRICT that
it'll copy messages to other nodes in the cluster if a corresponding topic
already exists there. My understanding from reading the docs is that this a
true copy (potentially async I assume) vs something like a read-through
from one node to another when the message doesn't exist on the local node.
Is that correct?

If the above is correct and the fact that I don't have a requirement to be
able to recover messages after a full cluster restart is there any reason
to have a ha-policy set? The only reason I can think of is to sync messages
in the topic between shutdown and restart of a node in the cluster prior to
clients reconnecting to that node so that the client(s) may not miss
messages (potential dup are ok in my use case). That's pretty important but
I'm not sure I have can both the clustered jms topics in a symmetrical
cluster and have a ha-policy (ala [master0/slave1] <--> [master1/slave0]).
Is that possible?

Thanks!