activemq-users mailing list archives

From joshhendo <joshhe...@outlook.com>
Subject What methods have people used to overcome race conditions?
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2016 03:39:33 GMT
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I just wanted to quickly say hi as I'm new to the Active MQ
community.

I'm doing a research project on different ways that people have overcome
race conditions when using message queues. As such, I'm looking to do an
informal survey throughout various communities that use message queues, to
find out what kind of problems people have seen (if any), and what
approaches and designs they've used to help minimize or avoid race
conditions.

An example scenario that I'm thinking of is, the same message is
(accidentally) sent multiple times, and with the receiving program
processing messages in parallel across multiple threads, the same message is
processed multiple times simultaneously, causing unexpected results (this
scenario is based around the message being processed in parallel; a race
condition probably wouldn't occur if the same message was sent a second time
after the first message was fully processed).

It could be that many people haven't experienced such issues, or that
there's a common theme to avoiding such issues (e.g. ensuring every message
is idempotent). However, if anyone has had any experience with such
scenarios, I'd very interested in finding out more about your experiences.

Thanks!
Josh Henderson