activemq-users mailing list archives

From Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>
Subject Re: Reliable, persistent, scheduled or delayed queue processing in cluster
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2016 09:52:49 GMT
I don't believe the JMS spec provides a mechanism for guaranteed
once-and-only-once delivery, nor how you'd provide such a guarantee in any
system.  Consider what happens when you're in the middle of processing
message A when the consuming process crashes.  A hasn't been acknowledged
as successfully processed, so you have two choices when the consumer
restarts: redeliver the message (at-least-once semantics, potentially
resulting in it being processed twice) or don't (at-least-once semantics,
potentially resulting in it being processed zero times).

Otherwise your requirements (except cancellation) can all be met by any JMS
2.0 implementation (which Artemis is) or any JMS 1.0 implementation that
provides an extension for scheduled delivery (as ActiveMQ and others do).

Tim