activemq-users mailing list archives

From Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>
Subject Re: simple xml message broker
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2015 01:25:55 GMT
Not at all.  I'd say that if your clients had only one message and your
server had none at all, ActiveMQ isn't overkill.

Using a JMS implementation such as ActiveMQ gives you (for free) a number
of capabilities that you'd otherwise have to implement (and test) yourself
or live without:

   - The simple ability to transfer data between applications
   - The ability for producers to not need to know who will consume the
   messages they produced, and for consumers to not need to know who produced
   them
   - The ability to use asynchronous messaging so that producers and
   consumers can operate at their own rate and on their own schedule, even if
   the other client isn't currently online
   - The ability to send messages to multiple consumers without any
   additional code and without needing to know who those consumers are in
   advance (though in fact your use-case of receiving a response from all
   consumers does require knowledge of all consumers, but that's a separate
   issue)
   - The ability to use multiple protocols (TCP, HTTP, STOMP, etc.) as well
   as encryption (SSL, HTTPS) when transferring messages
   - And lots more

Using a message-driven architecture also frees you up to reorganize where
your clients are deployed without needing to reconfigure property files
that tell your clients where to find each other, and makes it easier to
scale out if you need to in the future.

In short, I have a hard time constructing an argument that implementing and
testing the functionality you would need to implement yourself to make this
work without JMS is a better use of your time than spending a little time
learning how to configure and use the features that ActiveMQ provides
(tested and generally quite stable) for free.

Tim